OTHER DENTAL SERVICES IN WATERFORD
EXPERIENCED IN THE DIFFERENT BRANCHES OF DENTISTRY
At Dr. Taylor’s Family Dental Center, we understand that some dental procedures require the help of a dental specialist instead of a general dentist. Fortunately, our Waterford dental team is composed of some of the most talented and esteemed dental professionals with diverse specializations. We are also equipped with advanced technology including a state-of-the-art onsite laboratory to handle all your dental needs. Additionally, each member of our team undergoes over 20 hours of continuing education annually to ensure that we deliver the latest practices in the dental field.
Reach out to us at (248) 681-8100 for any of the following dental services:
- Children’s dentistry
- Laser dentistry
- Oral surgery
- Sedation dentistry
- Night guards
- Sports dentistry
We also have emergency dentistry that can be completed on the same day depending on your particular dental needs.
NIGHT GUARDS & BITE SPLINT THERAPY
Night guards and bite splints are restorative devices that can help with a wide range of oral problems such as bruxism or teeth grinding, TMJ, and mouth or jaw problems from bite misalignment. These two types of oral appliances are custom-made just for you and work by keeping your teeth separated, preventing any teeth grinding or jaw clenching. However, while night guards are worn solely while you sleep, some bite splints may be worn all day.
Some other oral issues that a night guard or bite splint can prevent include:
- Enamel damage
- Worn out teeth
- Jaw discomfort
- Gum irritation
If you are a professional athlete or your child is playing sports in school, we highly recommend that you see our sports dentist in Waterford. Sports dentistry focuses on the prevention, diagnosis, and treatment of oral and facial injuries that are commonly sustained in sporting events. While injuries are always part of the game, we are here to help minimize them through the use of a mouthguard. Sports mouthguards are usually worn over the teeth while participating in any sport. Although mouthguards are more popularly used in contact sports such as football, boxing, and hockey, individuals involved in non-contact sports including biking, skateboarding, gymnastics, volleyball, soccer, and more can also benefit from mouthguards.
Below are the three types of mouthguards available:
- Stock mouthguard- This is a basic, ready to wear mouthguard that can be bought in any sporting goods stores. While stock mouthguards are designed to cover your teeth, these pre-formed mouthguards can be extremely uncomfortable and may even cause breathing disruption.
- Boil and bite mouthguard- This type of mouthguard can also be found in sporting goods stores. However, unlike stock mouthguards, boil and bite are not pre-formed. They are made of a thermoplastic material, which can be softened in hot water and molded to the shape of your mouth.
- Vacuum or laminate-pressed mouthguard- This type of mouthguard is custom-fitted in a dental office where your dentist makes an impression of your teeth and mold the mouthguard over it. Vacuum mouthguards are made of a special material that can ensure enough protection as well as proper fit and comfort.
At Dr. Taylor’s Family Dental Center, we custom-fit sports mouthguards for both children and adults. We also provide specially-made mouthguards for patients who wear braces or other fixed dental appliance.
Whether you sustained an injury to your teeth, mouth, or jaw or you are experiencing a particularly unbearable toothache or mouth pain, we strongly encourage you to come to our Waterford dental office for an emergency dental treatment. As a seasoned dental practice, we have seen how delaying treatment for any dental emergency increases the risk of permanent damage and lead to a more costly and extensive procedure.
If you are not sure what constitutes a dental emergency, please refer to the list below for the various dental emergencies that we treat:
- Tooth impact and loss
- Broken tooth
- Dental abscess
- Lost dental filling or crown
- Severe toothache
- Bitten lip or tongue that continuously bleeds or remains swollen even after applying first aid
Dr. Taylor’s Family Dental Center is open seven days a week and we will make sure to accommodate you even if you are a new patient.
Please feel free to visit us for any dental emergencies. For other dental services in Waterford such as laser dentistry or sports dentistry, call us at (248) 681-8100 to schedule an appointment.